Saturday, January 19, 2008

Work has begun, sleeping in is over

I am two weeks into the job and there is so much to take in. No computer provider order entry for one thing. Hand written orders in triplicate is so out of mode but it is what we do. It is said that POE is coming but I guess that has been the rumor for the past couple years. I am destined to begin jobs where there is no POE and by the time I leave it is there. Does that make me the POE fairy godmother.

The caliber of the attendings is wonderful and their teaching on rounds has been outstanding. I learned so much yesterday...now I have to look up so much stuff this weekend. I have good supportive people around me. Another NP was hired for our team and she started a month before me. She has been a NP for 4 years but she was in a clinic doing internal medicine so cardiology is all new to her. I am new to being a NP so we are a match set when you put us together. I have really enjoyed taking care of my patients and they really are MY patients. I make their consults, write the orders and make their follow up appointments.

We type EVERYTHING. H&Ps, daily notes, discharge summaries so my typing is bound to improve more than I ever thought possible!! I am finding learning all the systems too slow for my own liking, but there are so many of them. I will get it... I just want to get over the novice period as soon as possible. My friend Lindsay who used to work at UNC is here and works as one of the care coordinators (arranging VNA, rehab, meds for folks without money). It is nice to know that there is a friendly face here if needed.

One of the attendings went to my high school and had a biology teacher that was still there when I went through (although I didn't have him it but the other biology teacher). One of our pharmacists is married to someone who was a year behind me in school. I am so used to working in areas where I am anonymous that it is weird to have people know my hometown or even know me!!

I have my first official business card as a NP but am still waiting for my white coats. I am still wearing my horrible poly-blend coat from clinical. It is so gross even after soaking it in OxiClean all last weekend.

My parents are here this weekend for a visit (and have taken me out to dinner twice!) It is nice to be close to home and my parents don't have to arrange this trip weeks in advance. The snow is looking beautiful again so any and all takers are welcome!

No comments: