Saturday, January 26, 2008

Another Week Down

No one who knew me in the South would believe it but I am positively WARM everyday at work. I used to have to wear sweatshirts and long sleeved shirts to work everyday including the summer months. At home in NC I was often found underneath a down blanket and my thermostat was set at 76 degrees year round. Now in NH the temperatures are near zero outside and yet I was able to wear a short sleeved shirt and stay quite toasty! My thermostat is set on 70 and that is the high! I am not running around anymore at work so I can't explain the temperature flip that I seem to have undergone.

I have a different role now in my patient's life. I am no longer in charge of every thing that goes on in the patient room. In the CCU if anything was going on with my patient I knew about it or what went on went through me. Now I am involved in my patient's life in a more indirect way. I write the orders but am not standing at their bedside to see that they are carried out. For the controlling ICU nurse in me it is difficult to let go of some of the patient care tasks that I so enjoyed. However, I need to adjust to my new role and trust in the nursing team that is at the bedside.

Three patients have sincerely thanked me for my care upon leaving. They mentioned that they felt very safe with me as their nurse practitioner. For this new NP that is the best feedback I could receive.

Tomorrow I am going to watch the movie that I have been told is based on my life as a bridesmaid...27 Dresses. I am even going to be joined by one of my former brides so it will be a fun afternoon for both of us...even if I have to travel to Maine to do it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janette, I enjoyed your blog. What a great way to keep in contact with a lot of people. we miss you at UNC and I for one amd jealous in a good way. You lucky girl with a great job. Vickie

Anonymous said...

Janette, I knew you would be good at your job and I know how hard it is to let go of something you love but you are in a different role now and it will just take time. Sounds like you are adjusting. don't quite understand the temperture thing but if it works then it works. Hope the folks are doing well. When in Maine tell Cheryl we said hello.
miss ya take care
April

Anonymous said...

HEY!! I've missed you soooo much! I'm very glad that you've found such a great place to be at this point in your life. I will wear the long sleeves just to keep the CCU tradition going, but will think of you everytime. When it snows, you'll have to take pics because we can't get enough to amount to anything around here to justify these crazy temps. Thanks for the link, I'll be looking forward to hearing from you again soon.
TTYL,
Windy