I know that June 26th isn't typical for a New Year celebration but in the academic medical field this is the day when the new doctors freshly released from medical school start their hands on 'practice of medicine'. I can relate to the newest residents as I was in their shoes 6 months ago, the difference is that I started alone and there is a whole class of newbies who are all new together. I am well aware of most of the systems at this time and got to share some helpful hints for survival on their first day at work.
I gave them the Super Doc extension (the Bed Commander's arch nemesis), showed them how to order labs so they are done properly, and showed them how to flag an order to be taken off. Simple tasks that just need to be passed along. Too bad there are no second year residents to show them around and the fellow never writes orders so there is little help there... I get to help them as much as possible, and it reminds me how far I have come in 6 months! Yeah. We shall see how day two goes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
....you should come give a clue to our newbies....apparently it takes about 127 people to tell them how to do something before its done properly.....and Carrie has even had "The Breakfast" for them! :-) I bet those new interns are worshiping the ground you walk on...ahahahha
take care,
travis
Post a Comment